Friday, 13 March 2009

Week 8 and 9 Question 6- Article 1

Article 1:


This first journal that I found through the Ebsco database mainly looks into the idea of education and how it incorporates technologies due to the ways the students think and use things out side the school. The main focus is that of google and the effect it has had on schools, colleges and universities.
The journal states that 'Google affords the students a powerful free, robust system that balances synchronous and asynchronous communication in a decidedly twenty first- century classroom.' However power google is, is it as much of a big deal for us digital natives as this author makes out? I don't use google for a chat service, I use MSN or Facebook chat and the suggestion that students can continue their chat outside the classroom via google doesn't seem that realistic to me. Don't we just all talk after lectures? Text our friends about university matters? Or create a thread on facebook to discuss work? I know its what everyone I know does. It also goes on to say 'In our classes it has become the only search engine we use', but how true is this????
We all know that we're told over and over again not just to rely on one search engine and that to find academic work is best to use something like the elibrary search etc. And in today's society don't most, especially digital natives know there are a lot more search engines available...
I'm not saying Google isn't the one most people first think of, but especially when it comes to in the classroom don't we all know is best to do a wider search?


No comments:

Post a Comment