Saturday, 21 March 2009

Week 9 and 10- Describe the experience of a fictional technophile student in 2020.

A technophiles is someone who has a great interest and enthusiasm in technology, mainly for new technology.
Trying to think what technology will be like in next 10 years is very difficult, its obvious to everyone that it will change and advance with haste. And it seems that pretty much anything is possible to happen over the space of the next ten years.
A student will no doubt experience live very differently to any student in today's society.
I think that most lectures and seminars will be held online, Elearning in general will play a much bigger part within education. I think face-to-face education will slowly disappear, although in 2020 there may be some sort of rule that all students have to meet tutors in person at least once a week and meet their groups for group projects, but the actual lectures will just be viewed online, i think webcams may play a bigger role and you may be able to record lectures to use for further reference and maybe even use webcams to talk to lectures.
I think there will be some kind of product that incorporates everything needed by the everyday student, so including a computer, phone, webcam, internet etc. This all allows students to study from the comfort of their own room, no need to actually get up before a lecture!
I think the need for library such as the one here will be a lot less as all the books and information you will need will be online and Ebooks will be used much more. There will be no need to go to the library to use the printer as all work will be submitted online, essay will be emailed in before deadlines and there will be no need to fill out a sheet like at the faculty office, all your simply do is email your name and student number with your essay attached.
Thinking about all these things will mean Universities wont have to be that big, and in some case you may not even have to live in the same place as the campus, as you can just do everything online.
But who knows what live at university will be like in 2020, we'll just have to wait and see!

6 comments:

  1. For a start I think this question is hard to answer, because who knows how much technology could have progressed by 2020 but I agree with you, I think the majority of learning will take place online. I think that educational authoritys will believe this is the 'new' thing to do, make all learning online and that it will encourage children more as they are digital natives and there needs, need to be met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you, mean how the hell can we know what it will be like. I agree that educational authority's will try and use it as a way of getting more people to stay in education. It will be so easy to learn that they'll use it as a way to persuade those who wouldnt have gone to normal university to do online courses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah exactly, and it will probably be a cheaper way of doing it as they won't have to employ as many teaching staff just a few tutors that people can get in touch with online. I think the whole issue that this whole online learning thing is forgetting is that people NEED to interact with other people to learn. I wouldn't want to spend all day looking at a computer screen rather than being taught face-to-face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean,I think I'd lose all motivation to do any work if we never went into uni or meet with our tutors. I think its all well a good online learning,but everyone seems to only look at the positive not the negative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, ive been reading your conversation and felt id butt in. i totally agree with what both of you are saying about who on earth knows what technology will be around in 2020! its a bizzare question to ask let alone answer! surely no-one can know but if we look 11 years back which is how long away 2020 is we can see how in these years technology has progressed so we could assume how it is going to go!

    i was thinking along the same lines as katie about the motivation. i personally learn better by meeting with people, having a conversation face to face, doing something physical to help me remember things rather than just being sat down looking at a computer screen. my neck already hurts with the ammount of time i spend sat over my laptop, so id be in agony if all our learning was tought to us online. (a negative) i think there are many negative aspects that do get over looked and that maybe if these were spoken about more NOW this may effect future learning for 2020 than if they are overlooked. the world could be a totally different place. could be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah in regards to heath problems, I mean you could get Repetitive strain injury, I notice I get frequent headaches. I don't think its a good idea to be spending huge amounts of time in front of a computer screen. I feel that I learn better when I an engaged with a Lecturer face to face. I didn't even realise until we started this weeks task that the web was going to change in the next decade to web 3.0. I mean how can we determine what is going to happen next?!

    ReplyDelete