Friday, 13 March 2009

Week 8 and 9 Question 6- Article 3

Article 3:

Right so here is the third journal. Its written by Doron Taussig and was published in 2008 and is therefore quite up to date.
The journal goes straight in to the idea of social norms, rules and values not being adequate for today's 'digital era'. This is obviously a big statement to make. Of course with the increase of digital communication society has changed, but has it really changed so much that the values and rules we're socialised into become completely irrelevant....? I don't think it will ever get to the point were normal human beliefs of what is wrong or right, or the way we behavior we change that greatly.
It the goes on to say that 'many Digital Natives that downloading music is "stealing." In the digital age, people are just not going to have the same understanding of intellectual property.' I know and everyone else I know who belongs to the digital native group, that illegal downloading is a form of stealing, we all know the artist or film company are losing money due to downloading which can then have an effect on whether bands can afford to release more music and whether new release make enough money, and we know its the small bands, the ungrounded ones and the films made by small,indie companies that suffer the most. So I don't think its fair to say we're completely oblivious to what we're doing if we illegal download, and I know many people my age who would rather buy music to help their favorite bands and who like to own the CD and who go to the cinema as you get better viewing quality. So I disagree with this part of the arguement.

No comments:

Post a Comment