Article 4:
This article looks into the effects of video gaming and the difference it has for digital natives and immigrants.
Much of what this article said on the area of the 'digital divide' is the same as all though other articles I've found and looked at. But this is the first one to look into video gaming and the idea of a literacy club when it comes to gaming.
The article talks about a family where the children are constantly on the 'XBOX' and the mother can't understand why they spend all their type on it. It talks about why the children can understand the game better and the concept of it, compared to the mother. No one can argue with the fact that children play more video games than the majority of adults, its just a known fact, its who the games are aimed at so of course children will play them more. However I disagree with the idea that children (Digital Natives) can pick up any game and work out what is happening and adults (Digital Immigrants) can't. I know myself that games confuse me! And many other natives I know! And I'm generally quite rubbish at video games and some digital immigrants I know are brilliant at it and can play any game, considering the digital immigrants are generally considered to be over 30, and isn't one major part of the gaming world men over 25. Many games are specifically aimed at this category, so how can it been right that all so called digital immigrants are incapable of playing video games?....
Much of what this article said on the area of the 'digital divide' is the same as all though other articles I've found and looked at. But this is the first one to look into video gaming and the idea of a literacy club when it comes to gaming.
The article talks about a family where the children are constantly on the 'XBOX' and the mother can't understand why they spend all their type on it. It talks about why the children can understand the game better and the concept of it, compared to the mother. No one can argue with the fact that children play more video games than the majority of adults, its just a known fact, its who the games are aimed at so of course children will play them more. However I disagree with the idea that children (Digital Natives) can pick up any game and work out what is happening and adults (Digital Immigrants) can't. I know myself that games confuse me! And many other natives I know! And I'm generally quite rubbish at video games and some digital immigrants I know are brilliant at it and can play any game, considering the digital immigrants are generally considered to be over 30, and isn't one major part of the gaming world men over 25. Many games are specifically aimed at this category, so how can it been right that all so called digital immigrants are incapable of playing video games?....

No comments:
Post a Comment