Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Week 9 and 10-Question 5

What is the 'semantic web'?

The semantic web is described by many websites as an extension of the world wide web.
Semantic means 'the meaning of' something, and the semantic web is to do with the meaning of the information that can be found on the web ( 'A web with meaning') it seems to be mesh of information that is all linked up in a certain way so machines can easily process it on a global scale.
'The Semantic Web is a web that is able to describe things in a way that computers can understand'. It appears to be about computers and machines being able to understand and process information in a much easier way allowing them to sort information in a way that is much more beneficial for users.
'Intelligent web applications could collect information from many different sources, combine information, and present it to users in a meaningful way.' Its also meant to help users in finding exactly what there looking for and "is about having data as well as documents on the Web so that machines can process, transform, assemble, and even act on the data in useful ways."

Note: I don't know if this is totally right, I struggled with this question!

Sources used :

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I also found this question hard after reading several definitions of what a semantic web is I was still confused. I think the main idea is it is an extension of the WWW, and is a database which enables people to access hundreds of other databases. I still don't understand what kind of databases etc? Glad that you found the same info though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone seemed to struggle with this question after looking at responses.I think like you it is the idea of extension of the web, web 3.0 and semantic is all about information being linked together through the databases.. its all very tricky!

    ReplyDelete