Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Week 9 and 10- Question 4

Is there a potential problem being stored up for people if 'education' is tailored to fit into their cultural and personal preferences?

If education is tailored to fit to peoples needs and preferences I think there are definitely problems that will occur but after looking into research and articles on the matter it seems there are also some positive sides to tailored education. The positives that seem to surround this idea of tailored education is that it will supposedly try to 'tackle achievement gaps between children from different social and ethnic groups', its also suggested that tailored education for every child will build their strength in basic skills 'while stretching their aspirations', this is all well a good but it seems that most of this tailored education will benefit those who are more able and have more academic success than those who struggle. Will this just be in schools that have more opportunities, private and grammar schools.
I think that if you try to tailor education to peoples personal cultural preferences they may become very narrow minded. If the youth only learn about their individual culture and are educate in either a one to one bases or put in groups with others who have the same preferences, how will they learn to accept other cultures and understand them. I think it will increase divides within society and even course more trouble for schools and parents, when their children don't understand why different religions, ethnicity's and even classes have different ways of living. Why is separating people in to groups to learn a good thing? education is all about broadening minds and to stretch people to learn new things whilst interacting with a range of other students; if your with a group that all believe and think exactly the same there's no chance in becoming more open minded and learning about new cultural things. Also those who are less academically able will be put into groups with others who are and then therefore will not be pushed as far as those who have more success, I think all students should have the same standard of education and that everyone needs to be pushed to work harder.


Sources used:

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your thoguths on this question. I think the governments need to seperate people into groups is not a positive one for education. I think that children who are gifted and perhaps show more potential that others should get extra lessons, but I don't think this should seperate those how are less bright. They should also recieve help to! I think if this personalised education was to take place there would be an even bigger strain on relationships between different cultures and even classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im not sure what i think about this subject, if im being honest. my first thoguht was if gifted children are that gifted why do they need extra lessons? i might agree with upgarding their education by putting them in higher classes so their talents are being tested but i dont think (at this moment in time) that they deserve or that 'less cleverer' poeple dont deserve extra lessons/help.

    ReplyDelete